Every siren, warning signal and exit light are going off in my head right now. And Han Solo is whispering in my ear. But I haven’t jumped ship with Staci, yet.
I know you’re asking yourself, “Why, man? WHY??”
It’s not that easy. I mean, she could have walked away – god knows I’ve given her enough opportunities to the last few days – but she hasn’t yet, either. And I think you all know by now, I’ve definitely fallen hard for this girl.
We talked again yesterday, after I sent her a long email describing my feelings about her, us, the situation, etc.
I am much better at expressing myself when I’m writing. I’m not very good at impromptu burst of emotional dialogue, and I usually end up saying something dumb that makes everything worse. So the other night, after she dropped the bomb and I was trying to handle it the best I could, I was very measured and cautious with my responses. So I wanted to clearly express what I was thinking in an email.
Basically, I said I couldn’t see any good reason for her to meet up with her ex-boyfriend. I told her that if she had any thoughts of getting back together with him, I was out, because I would just be a backup, secondary option. And I’m much more than anyone’s backup plan. I also reminded her that if getting back together is the plan, that she too would be his backup plan – and that we BOTH deserved better than that. We also had a conversation about Karma, and I reminded her that this particular scenario was loaded with bad potential Karma, if she did decide to go back with him. She is very much involved with her friends’ lives and their relationships, so I appealed to that side of her by acknowledging I know she knows what is going on here, and if she was her friend, what would she tell herself. I know she would tell her friends to stay away from something like this because it never works. Never! Lastly, I just reiterated how I felt about her, how great I thought we were together, how much chemistry we had together. And then I said I trusted her to do the right thing and tell me the moment she didn’t see a future for us – that I at least deserved that much.
After a day of communicating pretty much like normal, we talked later on that evening. She said she did not disagree with anything that I said. She said she was going into this with him just to see what he had to say. She had not talked to or heard from him since May (even though she saw him a while back). As I pressed about her feelings about possibly getting back together with him, she did not flat out say No, nor did she say she was openly considering it. She would just say she wanted to hear what he had to say first. I pressed further and asked directly, “what if he said he wants to get back together?” Her answer was she will have to wait to see how to handle it when (and if) the time comes. I asked what she wanted me to do until her decision, and she said she would like a little space. I agreed.
However that didn’t last long. Less than an hour, I had to clarify something she said out of context. From there we kept chatting. I told her, “I know what I said, but I just can’t go without hearing from her.” Not if we’re still together on some level. She said she liked that, and was very sweet the rest of the night as we communicated back and forth. Now maybe that was a deliberate test on her part to see what I would do, and exactly how interested in her I am. But if she really meant it, I know she would’ve scolded me about it, because she scolded me about sending that long email to her work email. I know some of you think it gives her too much power to see me that interested in her, which I calculated before saying anything. But I really don’t think at this point it matters either way (good or bad). So I might as well do what I want. And if she sees that I am really that interested in her and Us, maybe that will have an impact on her thought process next week. I mean, staying away could only hurt my chances. Out of sight, out of mind. This way, I stay in the picture, and at least make it harder to just cut the rope.
[Here’s a little asterisk for ya; Every time I say “she says (something)”, I know full well there’s a Believability Factor of anywhere from 50-100%. She could be telling me the whole truth or just part of the truth. Nothing I gather so far suggests that anything she is saying is a flat-out lie. So don’t think I haven’t thought about this, and that I am fully believing everything that comes out of her mouth.]
I hate it, but I get it. I was in a similar position about 10 years ago. There was this ex-girlfriend I was hung up on for years. No matter how serious of the current relationship I was in at the time, I always thought back to the “what ifs” of that particular girlfriend. I mean it, this went on for YEARS. Then one day, we stumbled across each other on Facebook through mutual friends and began catching up. We decided to get together and talk. I will be completely honest (aren’t I always?), I went into it hoping to rekindle something and see what might happen between us. I was single at the time, so it made having those thoughts a bit easier. But it really didn’t take long, once we were finally together, for all of those thoughts to dissipate. Things just weren’t the way I had thought or hoped. It emphasized why we weren’t together anymore. I walked away from that with a solid amount of closure and really felt better about myself, and subsequently it allowed to focus my attention on my current relationships. I was always keeping one eye looking back, not fully attentive to my current relationships, and that wasn’t fair to them. But not anymore.
So I understand the need for something like this – sometimes. And I guess I’m hoping it works out similarly for Staci – as well as in my favour.
Like I said, she sees him on Tuesday. So I don’t know if I am going to hear from her Tuesday night or Wednesday. She says it is just dinner and that she won’t be drinking alcohol, in order to keep her head on straight. I find that hard to believe, because she can be a heavy drinker sometimes, and always have to have something alcoholic when we go out. I commented that it would probably be a good idea to keep her head clear, especially if he’s trying to talk her into something. So … And after the other night, she said she felt it was only right to talk about these things in person. So I emphasized with her that whatever the outcome, she would need to tell me in person, as well. So we’ll see if it Tuesday or Wednesday.
Right now, my feelings are that hearing from her on Tuesday could be either good or bad. She could have a similar experience to mine, and realize how much she really wants us to work and has to tell me that night. Or the absolute converse, where she realizes she has to get back together with this guy and wants to get it over with quickly. However, to me, Wednesday is the worst. Because, the only way Wednesday is good if she is still conflicted after leaving and needs time to think before deciding what to do with “Us.” But likely, Wednesday means she has to formulate how she wants to tell me that she’s ending things and is reluctant to do it. Or, they’re night lasts so long together that she doesn’t have time to tell me what it going on. Or worse yet, they hit it off so well they jumped right back into bed together, and therefore I’m not hearing from her until Wednesday. Wednesday is not good, really, no matter how you slice it. But we’ll see.
And I know many of you are out there shaking your head. Screaming at your screen “She’s just holding on to you as a fallback in case it doesn’t work with this guy,” or something similar. You think that I will just run to her unconditionally if she snaps her fingers or bats her eyelashes. I get it. I totally do. But I’ve thought about that too. Don’t worry.
No matter the result of this, I realize that even if we remain together (somehow) things cannot stay the same. This has shown that I am not “There” yet, wherever “There” is. Basically, it just means this has proven I’m not important enough to her yet. I would love to be so important to someone, that the thought of meeting up with an ex turns into a simple “No, I’m not going.” Or at least, be sitting there with him and be thinking about me so much that she realizes she wants us to be together. But it has only been a few months. I get it. We are not there yet.
So if she comes back, has the closure she needs or whatever, and says she wants us to still be together. it isn’t just going to continue on as usual. If we are to continue on, I want the commitment. No more of this “feeling us out” stuff.
She hurt me with this, and if she still wants to be with me, she has to prove it. That is only fair, especially at this point.
And don’t think I’m just sitting here, staring at the phone waiting for her to have some sort of epiphany and come running into my arms. I’m packing my bags (figuratively, not literally, we didn’t move in together) getting ready to hit the road. I’m dusting off the Match profile. And I’m realistically thinking that there is only a 25% chance we’re still together by next weekend.
But I’m not in any rush, and don’t have any options open right now. So waiting to see what happens next week isn’t interrupting anything anyway. So I might as well see how it goes. You know, it’s like watching that baseball game when you’re favorite team is down by 4 runs in the bottom of the 9th and the best hitters are coming up. It’s a long shot, but there is still a chance your guys can pull off the comeback. So you stick around, standing by the exit of the sports bar watching the game on the big screen. With every out, you step a little closer to the door, but with every hit and every run scored, you move a little farther into the bar.
Right now, the way she is acting and talking with me, makes me feel like she still wants “Us”. So I’m near the exit, but not too close to the door.
We’re supposed to still see each other tonight. Not the same plans we had previously (with Max), but still just getting together for a little bit. I don’t think I can handle being in public with her trying to act “normal” with her. So we’ll see how it goes tonight, if it happens at all. I’m still more than 50% certain she’ll eventually cancel, but I could be wrong. I am wrong a lot with her.
And a small test will present itself this weekend. I hate games and tests, but I will be paying attention to this one.
She knows I am having a medical procedure tomorrow (Friday) morning. She has the day off babysitting her nephews. I won’t be able to get to my phone for a while, but I will be paying attention to see if and when I hear from her. I’m sure I will, she’s too sweet and plays the game too well to not say something know I just went through minor surgery. But what, how, when and content will be an interesting thing to watch tomorrow while I’m recovering. I won’t initiate anything with her tomorrow. Any reasonable person wouldn’t expect me to, given the situation.
And then, she was planning on coming over to check on me this weekend. That will be a bigger gauge of where I stand with her now. I think there’s a small chance she asks me if I want her to come over, and I think there’s an even smaller chance she just comes over on her own without discussing it first. My hopes are not high for seeing her this weekend. It was a definite certainty before, but now, not so much. But we will see.
I’m not going to be very active this weekend, so in between sleeping, reading “The Martian” by Andy Weir, and managing pain, I will probably have plenty of time to catch you up on anything that goes on.
But we are nearly at 2000 words, so it’s time to go. I appreciate you for making it this far! I’ll have to buy you a drink for sticking with me through it (especially if you’re a single lady 😉 ). And as always, thanks for reading!